Liberty's Light

A Christian forum dedicated to the discussion of how a nation based entirely off of biblical principles ought to be like. We believe that Righteousness Exalteth a Nation, and that God's righteous hand is necessary for the blessing of any nation.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lazy People

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 07/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:19 am

Greetings,

After some of Von's remarks, I realized that I had made an oversight in the forum's statement of purpose. I amended that in the Forum Instruction page as follows:

Quote :
This forum was designed to focus on the discussion of biblical principles that apply to politics, government, economics, nations, and those principles' application to the nature of a nation that abides by those principles. The end goal of these discussions is to decide what a nation that is biblical and lawful (adhering to God's law) ought to be like. Our focus inside of this scope will be almost exclusively upon the government law ans system of a nation. We will not be including much discussion of the other facets of what constitutes a nation, such as family, church, and societies. Although these being strong and godly is crucial to the success and survival of a nation, that is not our current focus.

I apologize for any misunderstandings that have arisen from my oversight.

With joy and peace in Christ,
Jay Lauser

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://siremethmimetes.wordpress.com
von

Male Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 16/02/2009

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:58 am

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
Greetings,

After some of Von's remarks, I realized that I had made an oversight in the forum's statement of purpose. I amended that in the Forum Instruction page as follows:

Quote :
This forum was designed to focus on the discussion of biblical principles that apply to politics, government, economics, nations, and those principles' application to the nature of a nation that abides by those principles. The end goal of these discussions is to decide what a nation that is biblical and lawful (adhering to God's law) ought to be like. Our focus inside of this scope will be almost exclusively upon the government law ans system of a nation. We will not be including much discussion of the other facets of what constitutes a nation, such as family, church, and societies. Although these being strong and godly is crucial to the success and survival of a nation, that is not our current focus.

I apologize for any misunderstandings that have arisen from my oversight.

Jay Lauser

ROTFL

You need to fix the spelling befor you put it in the actual forum heading..

My point, which comes after years of study of these issues, is that whether we emphasize or focus on the family, the church, the employer, or the civil magistrate... in the end our study must include all of the jurisdictions or it will properly deal with none of them.

Each jurisdiction operates in conjuction to and in coordination with the others. An overemphasis (as we see in our country) on one jurisdiction will then act to destroy the proper roles of the others.

Our country, for example, has 'child abuse' laws. In the end this means that the government has claimed jurisdiction over the role of the father. It has divorce laws, it has welfare laws, it has education laws. Each of these represent a jurisdictional violation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vonstakes.blogspot.com
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:48 am

Greetings,

Thanks for pointing the spelling error out. Smile I was in a hurry to get to bed.

Could we, as Hannah suggested, get back on the topic of welfare and off of the topic of jurisdictions? If it is important to discuss, start a thread in the Queue on it, please. As far as I go, the subject has been sufficiently handled, though.

Jay Lauser

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
Back to top Go down
von

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:39 am

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
Greetings,

Thanks for pointing the spelling error out. Smile I was in a hurry to get to bed.

Could we, as Hannah suggested, get back on the topic of welfare and off of the topic of jurisdictions? If it is important to discuss, start a thread in the Queue on it, please. As far as I go, the subject has been sufficiently handled, though.

Jay Lauser

On the role of the civil magistrate concerning the welfare of it citizens:

1) The civil magistrates primary role is the defense of it citizens, both internally and externally. By assuring the physical safety of the land and the physical safety of the citizens within its borders, they help incredibly in assuring their material prosperity. It is well known that crime laden areas are expensive to do business in, which raises prices and lowers wages. Bad for everyone.

2) The civil magistrate must specifically assure that poverty must not be an excuse for theft. Thus the bankruptcy laws should be repealed, and a Biblical system of repayments should be instituted.

3) The civil magistrate should also insure that crimes are appropriately payed for with restitution to the victim instead of some imaginary debt to society.

4) The civil magistrate should see to a return of Biblical land laws and proper inheritance.

5) The civil magistrate should see that their tax laws are in line with Gods Word, and stop the incredible drain that their current taxes pose to the economy.

6) The civil magistrate should end all of its unjustified laws and regulations.

These and other returns to Biblical law will do an incredible amount to promoting the welfare of the citizens.
Back to top Go down
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:47 am

von wrote:
On the role of the civil magistrate concerning the welfare of it citizens:

1) The civil magistrates primary role is the defense of it citizens, both internally and externally. By assuring the physical safety of the land and the physical safety of the citizens within its borders, they help incredibly in assuring their material prosperity. It is well known that crime laden areas are expensive to do business in, which raises prices and lowers wages. Bad for everyone.

2) The civil magistrate must specifically assure that poverty must not be an excuse for theft. Thus the bankruptcy laws should be repealed, and a Biblical system of repayments should be instituted.

3) The civil magistrate should also insure that crimes are appropriately payed for with restitution to the victim instead of some imaginary debt to society.

4) The civil magistrate should see to a return of Biblical land laws and proper inheritance.

5) The civil magistrate should see that their tax laws are in line with Gods Word, and stop the incredible drain that their current taxes pose to the economy.

6) The civil magistrate should end all of its unjustified laws and regulations.

These and other returns to Biblical law will do an incredible amount to promoting the welfare of the citizens.

Amen!!! I agree wholeheartedly!

What do you mean by "biblical land laws and proper inheritance"? I am intrigued. Let me know via pm if the answer is not directly connected to welfare. Smile

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
von

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:50 am

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
[...
Amen!!! I agree wholeheartedly!

What do you mean by "biblical land laws and proper inheritance"? I am intrigued. Let me know via pm if the answer is not directly connected to welfare. Smile

Jay Lauser

Ah. So glad you asked

In scripture we see that land, basically all the land of a country except for some cities, is to be divided by family. It may not be sold, only rented. This provides a backstop for each families wealth and living.

Inheritance is to be to sons only, and double to the first son in respect of his duties. The eldest son is responsible for the care of his mother when his father has died.

Do you see how this would help?
Back to top Go down
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 am

Von,

Aaaahhhh. I get it. That sounds like a good discussion to have on here. Would you mind starting the thread in the Queue about it since you thought of the topic?

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:59 am

Greetings,

So, I believe that we are all agreed that the sole and entire place of the civil magistrate in the welfare of the nation is to do what it is supposed to do and nothing else. It improves the welfare by punishing crime and not restricting commerce and liberty by regulations and excess taxations.

Right?

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
von

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:28 am

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
Von,

Aaaahhhh. I get it. That sounds like a good discussion to have on here. Would you mind starting the thread in the Queue about it since you thought of the topic?

Jay Lauser

Not sure what 'it' is? The role of Biblical land and inheritance laws in modern day U.S.?
Back to top Go down
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:01 am

The role of inheritance and and land regulations in a biblical government (civil magistrate). As in, is it biblical for a civil magistrate to regulate inheritance and land transfer and etc. like Israel did. A thread on that.

Back to top Go down
von

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:37 am

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
The role of inheritance and and land regulations in a biblical government (civil magistrate). As in, is it biblical for a civil magistrate to regulate inheritance and land transfer and etc. like Israel did. A thread on that.

Oh dear.

I wasn't claiming that it was the civil magistrates job to regulate those things. It may be, but that wasn't what I was claiming.

I was making the claim that the land of a nation *does not* fall within the jurisdiction of the civil magistrate. In other words that the government shouldn't own any land.

And I was making the claim that we as families should be giving our inheritance in a Biblical fashion and not according to tt he worlds way.
Back to top Go down
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:22 am

von wrote:
Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:

Oh dear.

I wasn't claiming that it was the civil magistrates job to regulate those things. It may be, but that wasn't what I was claiming.

I was making the claim that the land of a nation *does not* fall within the jurisdiction of the civil magistrate. In other words that the government shouldn't own any land.

And I was making the claim that we as families should be giving our inheritance in a Biblical fashion and not according to tt he worlds way.

Von,

Great! We agree on another thing! I do not think that government should own land either.

I do not think that the civil magistrate should require us to follow biblical inheritance policies and so on. If it stays in its own role and does not interfere with taxes (especially property taxes) we will be able to obey our responsibility on our own.

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
Dr. HipopĆ³tamo
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 11/02/2009

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:07 pm

von wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What about public buildings like schools, capitol buildings, etc.? Should the government own those properties? Or were you just saying the government should not own land that citizens live or work on? Maybe you meant something else and I'm totally lost. Could you please explain?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 am

Greetings,

It would be best if we started a new topic in the Queue on government owning property. Either Von or Dr. H could if they wanted to.

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Conclusion:

We have agreed an concluded that government's (the civil magistrate's) only business in welfare is in simply doing its job as stated in the purpose of government thread. Consistently and justly punishing crime; limiting taxes; and refusing to enact regulations on the liberties of the people all are major actions which improve the welfare of the people, and which are its duty to perform.

If there is any objection to this summary of our conclusions regarding welfare and government (civil magistrate), please state it now, before we move this thread into the archive.

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
Hannah Marie

Female Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 15/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:44 pm

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:
Conclusion:

We have agreed an concluded that government's (the civil magistrate's) only business in welfare is in simply doing its job as stated in the purpose of government thread. Consistently and justly punishing crime; limiting taxes; and refusing to enact regulations on the liberties of the people all are major actions which improve the welfare of the people, and which are its duty to perform.

If there is any objection to this summary of our conclusions regarding welfare and government (civil magistrate), please state it now, before we move this thread into the archive.

Jay Lauser

Agreed!

If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding; and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeccaMc

Female Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 14/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: Lazy People   Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Ditto
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.rubberducks4ever.blogspot.com
caleb

Male Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 14/03/2009