Liberty's Light

A Christian forum dedicated to the discussion of how a nation based entirely off of biblical principles ought to be like. We believe that Righteousness Exalteth a Nation, and that God's righteous hand is necessary for the blessing of any nation.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Specific exegetical principles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 07/01/2009

PostSubject: Specific exegetical principles   Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:38 am

Greetings,

Exegetical Bible study is when you take out of the Scripture your ideas and teachings, instead of reading them into it (which is eisegesis, look it up on google with "define:eisegesis").

What we will do in this thread is post exegetical studies that we have done to find biblical principles for government. We will use Scripture to interpret Scripture by studying nearby, similar, and contrasting passages and determining the context and intent of the passages we study. Meaning, we will use proper hermeneutics.

Post each study as one post, please avoid posting one study in several installments unless each installment stands alone under its own heading, with each expounding on a central topic.

Please also be concise and clear in your dissertations of your studies. And make sure you have the correct references.

King James Version is highly preferred. No offense to those who don't use it though.

With joy and peace in Christ,
Jay Lauser

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://siremethmimetes.wordpress.com
Dr. Hipopótamo
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 11/02/2009

PostSubject: Re: Specific exegetical principles   Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:

King James Version is highly preferred. No offense to those who don't use it though.

What about New King James? It might be a little easier to understand, as the English language has evolved since the original King James was printed. Can we use NKJV, too?

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6: 12)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 07/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: Specific exegetical principles   Fri May 08, 2009 2:55 am

Dr. Hipopótamo wrote:
Sir Emeth Mimetes wrote:

What about New King James? It might be a little easier to understand, as the English language has evolved since the original King James was printed. Can we use NKJV, too?

Well, although I understand that the NKJV used the same original texts that the KJV used, I am leery of using it.

Quote :
The task of updating the English of the KJV involved significant changes in word order, grammar, vocabulary, and spelling. One of the most significant features of the NKJV was its abandonment of the second person pronouns “thou,” "thee," “ye,” “thy,” and “thine.” Verb forms were also modernized in the NKJV (for example, "speaks" rather than "speaketh").

These alterations are unnecessary and not helpful at all. The KJV translators deliberately used those words for a reason. They themselves did not even use them, but they used them in the KJV because they reflect very important nuances of the Greek and Hebrew grammar. The KJV translators did not use the form of English that they had: they invented one that was understandable, easy to read, and faithful to the Greek and Hebrew. The English language has evolved, but it has been more devolving than anything else. I know and respect one of the men who helped in the NKJV translation, and I do not disparage them in any way. But even he does not use the NKJV, he prefers the KJV because it is closer to the original. See what I mean?

With joy and peace in Christ,
Jay Lauser

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://siremethmimetes.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Specific exegetical principles   

Back to top Go down

Specific exegetical principles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Liberty's Light :: Biblical Government :: Bible study-
Jump to: