Liberty's Light

A Christian forum dedicated to the discussion of how a nation based entirely off of biblical principles ought to be like. We believe that Righteousness Exalteth a Nation, and that God's righteous hand is necessary for the blessing of any nation.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What is Truth?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Peter G.
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 09/01/2009

PostSubject: What is Truth?   Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 am

Greetings,

I just watched a video called Worldview Weekend Training. And Josh McDowel talked about the definition of Truth. However, before I define Truth the way the Josh McDowel did, I want to see how you guys define it. So:

*What is Truth?

Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caleb

Male Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 14/03/2009

PostSubject: Re: What is Truth?   Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:23 am

Daniel 10:21- “But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.”

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 17:17- “Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.”

1 Timothy 3:15b- “the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.”

Titus 1:1b- “the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;”

TRUTH-
1. Conformity to fact or reality; exact accordance with that which is, or has been, or shall be....
2. True state of facts or things....
6. Fidelity; constancy....
7. Honesty; virtue....
12. Jesus Christ is called the truth. John 14.
(Webster’s 1828 Dictionary http://1828.sorabji.com/1828/words/t/truth.html)

Simply put, truth is the Bible, Jesus Christ, godliness, and fact which the church is to be the ground of.

To God be the glory,
-Caleb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hannah Marie

Female Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 15/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: What is Truth?   Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:19 pm

The truth can simply be described as a summary of a Godly life. It is not the world's definition of "intellectual purity of understanding" but rather the Biblical definition of "righteous way of life."

"And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness." (Eph. 4:24)

"Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently..." (1 Pet. 1:22)

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth." (1 Jn. 1:6)

"But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?" (Gal. 2:14)

The Bible itself is indeed truth because it tells of Godly living, it sets laws for Godly living. The Bible is the very book in which we find the laws of truth, the book where the characteristics of Godly living are laid out for us. It lays out the boundary between good and evil, truth and sin. It is God's living word, the Word that leads us in truth and righteousness.

"For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel..." (Col. 1:5)

"To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you." (Gal. 2:5)

"In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise..." (Eph. 1:13)

Jesus Christ is truth because He lived the life of truth. He never sinned, never violated a single law of truth. He lived a "righteous way of life" in every respect. He upheld the set boundaries of truth and of sin. He exhibited the charactistics of truth in His life time and never strayed from them.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

Righteous is truth because sinners detest truth, they reject truth. Their lives are lived in sin and set far apart from truth. All who seek the truth reject sin and all who reject sin live in truth.

"And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." (2 Tim. 4:4) - "they" is referring to sinners

"Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth." (Titus 1:14)

"Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself." (1 Tim. 6:5)

"Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth." (1 Cor. 5:8)

Truth is what the church is founded on because it is the body of Christ. Christ is the head of the church, the Holy Word directs the church, and the people of the church reject sin. All three ingredients are the very definitions of truth itself so the church must be of the truth and following the truth (that is if it abides by the ideas set forth by Christ and the Bible).

Truth is righteousness, is Godly living, and is the way to true life.

In Christ,
Hannah

If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding; and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is Truth?   Today at 3:45 am

Back to top Go down

What is Truth?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Liberty's Light :: Archives :: Definitions Archives-
Jump to: