Liberty's Light

A Christian forum dedicated to the discussion of how a nation based entirely off of biblical principles ought to be like. We believe that Righteousness Exalteth a Nation, and that God's righteous hand is necessary for the blessing of any nation.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
caleb

Male Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 14/03/2009

PostSubject: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:14 pm

What is important about a biblical nation? How is a biblically founded nation any better than other forms of government? These are important questions for Christians around the world to ask as they look at the system of government they live under. First of all, I would like to provide some Scripture verses that give insight into these questions:

"The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God." (Psalms 9:17) "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance." (Psalms 33:12) "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." (Proverbs 14:34) "But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him." (Acts 10:35)

Biblical government is important because it, by definition, obeys God's commandments and laws laid out in the Bible, and thus truly fulfills the role of government better than any other government system. We see a stern warning given to nations that forget God. Contrasted to that, are promises of blessing to nations that fear the LORD and live in righteousness. Thus, it is obviously in the best interest of a nation to be run on biblical principles. However, it is not just the government leaders that must walk in obedience to God's Word. The whole nation must live in fear and obedience to God. This makes evangelism even more important.

It is vitally important for Christians to use Scripture to make decisions in every single area of their lives. Yes, this is possible, and this includes government. What would your belief about government and economics be if all you had was the Bible? Meaning, no knowledge of any form of government, no influence of the media, no "Government for Dummies" book. Only the Bible.

So how possible is it to achieve a biblical government? What must happen in order for it to take place? These are excellent questions to ask before we go about trying to make a biblical government. And what better place to go to than the Bible?

2 Timothy 2:15-16- "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."

2 Timothy 3:16-17- "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

Knowing that the Bible is sufficient for the formation and running of government, it becomes very important to be able to correctly interpret Scriptures teaching on Government and Economics. I believe that a biblical nation is possible to achieve, but only through God's sovereignty, salvation of the people, correct application of the Bible, humility, blood, sweat, and tears. I believe that a Christian who walks in obedience to God's Word and grows in his/her relationship with God will enjoy a blessed life and be a better citizen or governing official. (By "enjoy a blessed life," I am not supporting the prosperity gospel. I believe that a Christian who rightly understands his/her relationship with God and enjoys fellowship with Him will consider his/her life blessed even in persecution, hardship, and pain.)

Mark 13:10- "And the gospel must first be preached to all nations."

I believe that first and foremost, I personally must read, understand, study, memorize, and apply the Bible. My relationship with Jesus is most important. But, I cannot stop there. I must evangelize to the lost, have fellowship with other Christians, study the Bible, and apply Scripture in all areas of my life including government. God alone knows the future, and He alone can give me success, but I must be a wise steward of the time, gifts, and responsibilities that He has entrusted me with.

The Bible is clear on what results can be expected as a result of this application of Scripture:

1 Peter 2:9- "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

Psalm 117:1- "Praise the LORD, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples."

The results of people being saved and nations turning to God and governing according to Scripture will be evident and astounding. The nations will praise the Lord for His sovereign work of delivering them out of spiritual darkness into His glorious light. Christians would demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit and the signs of a true Christian laid out in 1 John. The world would indeed be a better place.

Psalms 90:20- "Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah."

With all this being said about the world being better, we must keep in mind that all men are flawed and sinful creatures. Even Christians who have been freed from the power and practice of sin are not yet freed from the presence of sin. Thus, no nation or society will ever be perfect until God destroys this Earth and creates a new Heaven and new Earth. (2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1) But we should still strive for the best and most biblical government we can; even if everyone else opposes or persecutes us as a result. The world is getting darker and more evil, especially in government. The one-world government agenda is growing at an overwhelming pace and has already progressed farther than most people know. This will make it harder for a biblical nation to arise. However, we are citizens of Heaven (Philippians 3:20) and are the children of an All-powerful God. (Galatians 3:26, 4:6, Genesis 17:1) He is always with us and will never leave or forsake us. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

To God be the glory,
-Caleb

Last edited by caleb on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caleb

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Please feel free to offer any suggestions or critiques to this post. They would be greatly appreciated. I transfered it to article form from a reply post rather quickly, so I'm sure it has areas of improvement. Together we can make it a stronger article. Thanks again. God bless.

To God be the glory,
-Caleb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hannah Marie

Female Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 15/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Very well written post, Caleb! Smile I just found a few grammar errors but otherwise the content and organization looks great to me!

Below are the grammar errors corrected in violet:

Biblical government is important because it obeys God's commandments and laws laid out in the Bible, and truly fulfills the role of government better than any other government system. (comma after "Bible")

It is vitally important for Christians to use Scripture to make decisions in every single area of their lives.

What would your belief about government and economics be if all you had was the Bible?

No knowledge of any form of government, no influence of the media, no "Government for Dummies" book. Only the Bible. (this one isn't grammatically wrong necessarily but is kind of unclear because there's no lead off from your question to this explanation - a suggestion would be to simply add "Meaning, " right before the start of the sentence)

It is very important to be able to correctly interpret Scripture’s teaching on Government and Economics, knowing that the Bible is sufficient for the formation and running of government. (comma after "Economics")

I must evangelize to the lost, have fellowship and study the Bible with other Christians, and apply Scripture in all areas of my life, including government.

If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding; and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 07/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:46 am

Caleb,

I agree with Hannah. Very well written. There are some things other than spelling that I noticed, but I will have to take the time to examine them later.

What I noticed:

Christian needs to be capitalized in your first paragraph,

"Study" needs an "s" here: 2 Timothy 2:15-16- "tudy

Great work!

With joy and peace in Christ,
Jay Lauser

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://siremethmimetes.wordpress.com
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:40 am

Greetings,

Here is my first edit draft. You might want to read it alongside your original to see what I changed. Some of the differences are minor, like the moving of a clause or a comma. I rearranged a couple paragraphs as well.

The main differences were doctrinal. I removed some comments that you made that were not completely pertinent to the subject and which espoused doctrines that not all of us hold. While these doctrines are important, and I do not in any way want to come across as if it does not matter. But I do not want to cause division among our members and with our readers over something that is not directly germane to our subject and focus.

No offense, I hope. Smile But here follows my edition of your article:

Quote :
What is important about a biblical nation? How is a biblically founded nation any better than other forms of government? These are important questions for Christians around the world to ask as they look at the system of government they live under. First of all, I would like to provide some Scripture verses that give insight into these questions:

"The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God." (Psalms 9:17) "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance." (Psalms 33:12) "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." (Proverbs 14:34) "But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him." (Acts 10:35)

Biblical government is important because it, by definition, obeys God's commandments and laws laid out in the Bible, and thus truly fulfills the role of government better than any other government system. We see a stern warning given to nations that forget God. Contrasted to that, are promises of blessing to nations that fear the LORD and live in righteousness. Thus, it is obviously in the best interest of a nation to be run on biblical principles. However, it is not just the government leaders that must walk in obedience to God's Word. The whole nation must live in fear and obedience to God. This makes evangelism even more important.

It is vitally important for Christians to use Scripture to make decisions in every single area of their lives. Yes, this is possible, and this includes government. What would your belief about government and economics be if all you had was the Bible? Meaning, no knowledge of any form of government, no influence of the media, no "Government for Dummies" book. Only the Bible.

So how possible is it to achieve a biblical government? What must happen in order for it to take place? These are excellent questions to ask before we go about trying to make a biblical government. And what better place to go to than the Bible?

2 Timothy 2:15-16- "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness."

2 Timothy 3:16-17- "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

Knowing that the Bible is sufficient for the formation and running of government, it becomes very important to be able to correctly interpret Scriptures teaching on Government and Economics. I believe that a biblical nation is possible to achieve, but only through God's sovereignty, salvation of the people, correct application of the Bible, humility, blood, sweat, and tears. I believe that a Christian who walks in obedience to God's Word and grows in his/her relationship with God will enjoy a blessed life and be a better citizen or governing official. (By "enjoy a blessed life," I am not supporting the prosperity gospel. I believe that a Christian who rightly understands his/her relationship with God and enjoys fellowship with Him will consider his/her life blessed even in persecution, hardship, and pain.)

Mark 13:10- "And the gospel must first be preached to all nations."

I believe that first and foremost, I personally must read, understand, study, memorize, and apply the Bible. My relationship with Jesus is most important. But, I cannot stop there. I must evangelize to the lost, have fellowship with other Christians, study the Bible, and apply Scripture in all areas of my life including government. God alone knows the future, and He alone can give me success, but I must be a wise steward of the time, gifts, and responsibilities that He has entrusted me with.

The Bible is clear on what results can be expected as a result of this application of Scripture:

1 Peter 2:9- "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

Psalm 117:1- "Praise the LORD, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples."

The results of people being saved and nations turning to God and governing according to Scripture will be evident and astounding. The nations will praise the Lord for His sovereign work of delivering them out of spiritual darkness into His glorious light. Christians would demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit and the signs of a true Christian laid out in 1 John. The world would indeed be a better place.

Psalms 90:20- "Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah."

With all this being said about the world being better, we must keep in mind that all men are flawed and sinful creatures. Even Christians who have been freed from the power and practice of sin are not yet freed from the presence of sin. Thus, no nation or society will ever be perfect until God destroys this Earth and creates a new Heaven and new Earth. (2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:1) But we should still strive for the best and most biblical government we can; even if everyone else opposes or persecutes us as a result. The world is getting darker and more evil, especially in government. The one-world government agenda is growing at an overwhelming pace and has already progressed farther than most people know. This will make it harder for a biblical nation to arise. However, we are citizens of Heaven (Philippians 3:20) and are the children of an All-powerful God. (Galatians 3:26, 4:6, Genesis 17:1) He is always with us and will never leave or forsake us. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

To God be the glory,
-Caleb

Jay Lauser

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
Back to top Go down
caleb

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 am

Thank you for your suggestions Mr. Lauser. I have no problem with making the changes you recommended as I see that it 1. is a stronger piece, 2. stays on topic better. I went ahead and made all the changes you advised. Thanks again.

To God be the glory,
-Caleb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Caleb,

You are welcome. I am glad that you did not take offense. Editing can be a hard job. Smile I noticed that you forgot the first paragraph, though, or did you do that on purpose?

Now I need someone to edit my article. Smile

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
caleb

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:49 pm

Thank you for catching that. I don't know why that happened. I know editing can be a very hard to do while still being sensitive to the author. But you did a fine job.

To God be the glory,
-Caleb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:32 am

Caleb,

You ready to post this? You will need to get a Wordpress account (you don't need to make a blog to get one, and it is free) still. If you need help with that let me know.

Jay Lauser

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation   Today at 4:34 pm

Back to top Go down

The Importance and Realization of a Biblical Nation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Liberty's Light :: Biblical Government :: Act-
Jump to: