Liberty's Light

A Christian forum dedicated to the discussion of how a nation based entirely off of biblical principles ought to be like. We believe that Righteousness Exalteth a Nation, and that God's righteous hand is necessary for the blessing of any nation.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Definition of God

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Peter G.
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 09/01/2009

PostSubject: Definition of God   Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 am

Greetings,

I do believe that this topic is within the "rules" of this place. Very Happy

Anyway,

What do you all think the definition of God is? I mean, what do we really mean when we say the word "God"?

Please post and don't go all ditzy on me either. :P

In Christ,
Peter G.

P.S. I'm leaving this pretty open, however if need be, I will either delete some of the posts that don't address the issue at hand, or put you guys back on the "right track". Very Happy Otherwise, have at it and have fun. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. HipopĆ³tamo
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 11/02/2009

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:58 pm

I would say that the word "God" in the English language has at least two or three meanings.

The first refers to the One True God, meaning the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit as revealed in the Bible.
The second refers to any supposed supreme deity or one of many supposed supreme deities. Usually this means a creator god who runs everything to some extent or another. Questions like, "Do you believe there's a God?" use this definition. God, Allah, Zeus, Ganesha, and Baste are all examples of this definition.
The third refers to anything that is worshiped in a way that only the True God should be. This could include idols, self, money, ambition, false gods, etc. Sometimes this definition is used lightly to refer to anyone who is respected, like a celebrity.

Those are the definitions that come to my mind. I'm not saying that these are the only definitions, or that they are entirely correct, but to I think those are the three most common meanings that I've heard.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6: 12)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peter G.
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Okay,

however, if you read my post carefully, I think I said that what do we really think of when we say God? (within the Christian belief's of the word) Basically, other then the dictionary definitions, and such, who (or to some extent what) is God? Who is He really? This is a question that if you delve far enough, starts to make your head hurt, unless God has told you, it will hurt your head if you think about it right. Wink (just my two cents. Smile)

For example:

We know that God is pure, however, how does that affect Him? How does this make Hiim? And all sorts of other questions like these in this part of Him, as well as the rest. Do you guys understand now?

In Christ,
Peter G.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 07/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:05 am

So basically you want a discussion of the attributes and glory of God?

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://siremethmimetes.wordpress.com
Peter G.
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 am

Just ask yourself, "who is God really?"

Its a real brain hurter. Wink

In Christ,
Peter G.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Emeth Mimetes
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 07/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 am

Peter G. wrote:
Just ask yourself, "who is God really?"

Its a real brain hurter. Wink

In Christ,
Peter G.

I'll try that.

I am Sir Emeth Mimetes (knighted to the warfare of truth by the calling of Christ, the Master of my order), and thus, though poorly is it ever met by my feeble abilities, is my mission: to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
May I never forsake abiding in Him, and may His ways never cease to thrive within my heart, for He only is my strength and hope.
note: emeth is Hebrew for truth, right, faithful;
mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://siremethmimetes.wordpress.com
Peter G.
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:04 am

Let me know how it goes. Smile This should be interesting... Wink

In Christ,
Peter G.

P.S. I still hurt my head when I try and think about it. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. HipopĆ³tamo
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 11/02/2009

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:05 pm

I think the reason it hurts our head is because we are so used to comparing things to a given standard when we ask that about them. God IS the standard, and thus we never know quite how to think about His attributes, glory, purity, goodness, etc. It's pretty mind-boggling. "Who has known the mind of the LORD?... for from Him and to Him and through Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever!"

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6: 12)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peter G.
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:02 pm

Daniel,

Extremely well put. I'll just expound on that a little.

And when God is the standard, and when we relize a part of the standard, it just feels right, holy, righeous, pure, Godly. We KNOW when something is right because of morality, and then we can attribuate it to God and HIS Godliness. For example, we know something is just when God would have done the samething in our situation and we feel a peace about that decision because God is pleased with how we acted and decided. Does this make sense?

So we can know some of the definition of God, when we relize a part of the standard, but we can never FULLY understand God because we can never FULLY understand His standard. Yes there are many, many things that He has outlined in black and white, but everything else is up for interpetation. And we will know if we interpert something right when we feel God's pleasure after the decision.

Any comments?

In Christ,
Peter G.

Jordan Wright

Male Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 22/12/2009

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   Sat May 15, 2010 5:15 pm

What a Christian should mean by "God" is "The Supreme Creator and Law Giver of this and any other universe as revealed to us in His Holy Word."

But the truth is that we cannot truly understand those attributes which God has revealed to us. God existed before everything, and there cannot be defined. Even to say he is "eternal", although an accurate description, is only to define Him within the context of time, although he exists both within and outside of time. (Having created it, but still interacting with it.)

However, there a certain things we can know. "God is good" for example, is true. In fact, we understand that goodness is part of his nature, and, debatable, he wouldn't be "God" in any sense if he were not good. (Thus Satan's attempts to corrupt Jesus, reducing him to the same stature as himself. A plan which, because of God's nature, didn't work.)

We also know that God behaves logically, not because God must obey logic, but because logic is a part of his nature. Because it is part of his nature, and we are made in his image, we are logical (to an extent) but we tend to think of logic as a set of rules, when it is really just the act of making a decision after the pattern of God.

So, God is both definable and in-definable, in the same way that he is outside of time, and yet within it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Definition of God   

Back to top Go down

Definition of God
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Liberty's Light :: Interaction :: Felicitations-
Jump to: