Liberty's Light

A Christian forum dedicated to the discussion of how a nation based entirely off of biblical principles ought to be like. We believe that Righteousness Exalteth a Nation, and that God's righteous hand is necessary for the blessing of any nation.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Contracts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hannah Marie

Female Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 15/01/2009

PostSubject: Contracts   Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:13 pm

In the thread defining property, there was a difference in opinion that came up. We settled this by coming up with a seperate category: contracts. However, we must define the limits, the means, and the way contracts are carried out; and, of course, we must define the very word itself. Some questions to consider:

• What is a contract?

• What is involved in a contract?

• What are the limits regarding contracts?

• How are contracts to be made/formed?

• How should contracts be carried out/concluded?

Blessings,
Hannah

If you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding; and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. Proverbs 2:1-5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Peter G.
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 09/01/2009

PostSubject: Re: Contracts   Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm

• What is a contract?

I would think a contract would be something binding, (verbal, written, or another way that you would give your word about something) between two or more people saying that those involved are responsible for something. (sorry for being vague) An example would be a contract between two people that says something along the lines of, "We hereby agree to not compete with each other for customers to encourage a free market economy" or something like that or even something completely different. The way I see it is that contracts are very broad and perhaps have too much "power" because it binds us and if we break it, I'm not sure if it would be labeled as "crime" because you only broke your word, so I'm not sure whether or not that would be under our definition of crime.

• What is involved in a contract?

Two or more people giving their word in any form of communication that they will do something and that the "contract" would bind them to their word. But then again, if we were to look at what I just said, then, hypothetically, we are supposed to be a people of our word, therefore, a contract would almost be un-needed because we could always trust what another person said. Therefore, a contract would imply that the people involved could not be trusted, and therefore, that they need something to hold them to their word. Unless we would define a contract as someone giving their word that they will do something. For example, me telling my mother that I will clean my room would be a contract because I must hold to my word. But is this a type of contract? And would this be under the government's jurisdiction? Possibly. I'm not sure just because of the definition of crime.

• What are the limits regarding contracts?

An obvious limit is that we cannot form any kind of contract that would directly violate God's word (the Bible) or laws. This would be a tough one because our word could be defined as a contract. And if that is the case, then that would give the government too much power and authority because we give our word several times a day whether its to clean my room, that I'll get my homework done, or just that I will do some sort of action for another person (there are more ways of wording this). And if we were committing a crime against another person because we broke the contract of our word, then that would be under the government's jurisdiction, and I believe that with what we have said in the past, that is too much power and authority. Therefore, just our word could not be a contract.

• How are contracts to be made/formed?

Definitely not by our word. However, there need to be witnesses that the people making the contract made the contract and if the people involved break the contract, would make them under subject to the government. So written and perhaps a few other ways. Any thoughts?

• How should contracts be carried out/concluded?

Well, carried out is a bit hard to nail down because whatever the contract says (and it must be in accordance to God's laws and word) we must do. And then it would be concluded once we fulfilled our time that we originally said in the contract, or when we accomplish what was asked of us in the contract. (I might be wrong on several points, but I'm just getting this thread started)

In Christ,
Peter G.

Dr. HipopĆ³tamo
Honor roll member
Honor roll member

Male Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 11/02/2009

PostSubject: Re: Contracts   Thu May 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Peter,
You are right in saying that since we are supposed to be people of our word, contracts should not be needed. However, we are also supposed to be people who don't commit crimes. Government exists largely because many of us are not either of these things.

So what is a contract? I would say that a contract is when you give your word with the understanding that your word is legally binding. The government may define this more specifically. For example, they could make a "law" that if you voluntarily sign your name to an agreement, the agreement is a contract and is legally binding.

So I suppose that whatever the government specifies is what is involved in a contract. But of course the government must specify this in a way that will allow people to know for sure whether they are making a contract or merely making a friendly agreement, and will give people total freedom to decide whether or not to enter into a contract. The government could say that any label put on a container of food is legally binding --in other words, you are agreeing by a contract that what you are selling contains exactly what the label says it contains. Or the government could say that such labels are only legally binding if they have a certain seal on them. Either way, the law would have to be made beforehand, and in a way that both/all parties involved know whether or not they are entering into a contract.

As to limits, that's a little tougher. You could say a contract must be Biblical, but shouldn't that be between a person and God? Should judges be given the power to say, "That contract isn't Biblical, therefore I won't enforce it"? It would be like having a Supreme Court to interpret the Bible, and we all know how well supreme courts interpret important documents (sarcasm).

How should they be formed? Well, I don't really think there's a definition in the Bible for contracts or for how they should be formed, so I think a lot of that stuff could be reserved for LL2.

They should be carried out exactly how they say they will be carried out. If they are not, the offended party should bring the case before a judge, and the judge should have the power to enforce the contract.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6: 12)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Contracts   Today at 4:34 pm

Back to top Go down

Contracts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Liberty's Light :: Biblical Government :: Definitions-
Jump to: